[flashrom] Need assistance for using non-coreboot bios image

David Bein d.bein at f5.com
Wed Apr 20 03:28:39 CEST 2011

Hello ...

  I am very impressed with flashrom. I just used it on a motherboard
based on
the Lynnfield 3420 chipset and it worked very well and is much faster
than the
AMI supplied equivalent.

  I have one problem which is that the very first boot after flashing
the bios rom
image,  the bios complains about a CMOS checksum error and patiently
waits for some input. I am assuming others have been here before. What I
did next
was enter the bios menu and tell it to save changes (none made). All
boots after
this no longer complain about the CMOS checksum.

  The reason flashrom is interesting to us (aside from not being
restricted by AMI)
is for unattended use in customer upgrade situations. Having any upgrade
path
require a human to type something is a bit of a problem.

  Any helpful hints will be greatly appreciated.

   Last but not least, thank you to all of you whole have put a lot of
effort into
this tool for use by coreboot and others. This really validates why open
source
is needed in the first place.

--David