[flashrom] Fwd: flashrom on Intel Nics,

Iain Paton selsinork at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 17:52:30 CEST 2010

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

> Besides that, it is possible that the nicintel driver needs some tweaks
> to work with that card.

I noticed the 82540EM mentioned in the datasheet reference in the code so I was hopeful :)  I'll happily test anything yourself or
Idwer care to send me!

> The device is already listed in flashchips.h, but we need to hook it up

Yeah, I saw it in there and tried to add a section into the flashchips struct in flashchips.c, but didn't get anywhere. Comments
around it in flashchips.h convinced me I didn't know the code well enough anyway.

> to flashchips.c which requires writing a new probe function. Please ping
> me once the 0.9.3 release is out so I can take care of this.

Sure.

> This log seems to indicate that adding support for the Atmel 25F1024AN
> would make the whole thing work fine. However, if the dual port device
> appears as two PCI devices, we will have to add a check (if possible)
> which refuses to work with the PCI device that does not have access to
> the flash chip.

Yep, it appears as two devices:
0b:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
0b:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)

I have some of these elsewhere with a rom that works... at least on this card, both functions can see the same spi rom. Makes sense,
but I never even thought about it until you mentioned it.

Thanks,
Iain