[flashrom] Breaking the assumption that filesize == romsize

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Thu Nov 18 21:47:42 CET 2010

On 11/18/2010 03:30 PM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

>> Thats what the --offset command is for.  Every programmer I've used
>> for the last 20 years (probably about 10) works this way.  Its
>> expected and intuitive.  You feed it a file and a chip type (if it
>> can't autodetect) and it just programs that data starting at address
>> zero.
>
> It may be expected by people working with programmers, but how can we
> tell x86 users with no standalone programmer experience that flashing
> smaller images (with the suggested bottom alignment) bricks their
> systems by default?

I'm not proposing that the default behavior change.  The current
behavior is perfectly correct for the flash-my-PC-BIOS case where if
things go wrong you are dead.

I'm talking about the external programmer case.  It would be contingent
on the -p option. If you are using an external programmer then you can't
brick your system and you aren't a casual user.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child