[flashrom] Breaking the assumption that filesize == romsize

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Nov 18 18:48:39 CET 2010

On 18.11.2010 16:51, Richard Smith wrote:
> Current flashrom forces that the loaded filesize must equal the
> romsize.  If you are using an external programmer then this may not be
> true.

Can you give an example use case?

> How deeply wired is this assumption?  I'd like to bypass those checks
> it if the -p option is used.

The underlying problem is that flashrom can't know if you want
top-aligned or bottom-aligned write. If you only want to write a part of
the chip, you can do that with the layout feature, but that still
requires an image file with full size. Suggestions are welcome on how
flashrom should detect the alignment wanted by the user. (The famous
"DoWhatIMean" function has not been implemented yet.)

http://www.hailfinger.org/