[flashrom] Your flash chip is in an unknown state

Michael Karcher flashrom at mkarcher.dialup.fu-berlin.de
Sun Nov 14 11:34:23 CET 2010

Am Sonntag, den 14.11.2010, 09:45 +0000 schrieb Matthew Chapman:
> is old so I decided to try and update it using flashrom. However, it
> said erase failed and to contact you. I should have probably started
> something easier on my first attempt to use Linux...
Your output looks like flashrom doesn't know how to disable write
protection on that ASUS board, and thus the erase attempt did nothing at
all.

> I did a backup of the current image.
Please run "flashrom -v backup.img" replacing backup.img by the file
name of the backup you created. If it outputs "VERIFIED", your BIOS is
really unmodified and you are safe.

> daddy at daddy-System-Name:~/Desktop/flashrom-0.9.2$ sudo flashrom -w 1018.004
> flashrom v0.9.2-r1028 on Linux 2.6.35-22-generic (i686), built with libpci 3.0.0, GCC 4.4.4, little endian
[...]
> I think my machine is an ASUS A7V333

I just checked the flashrom version history. You are using revision
1028. The A7V333 is claimed to be supported since 1167, so you might
want to upgrade flashrom to a newer version.

Regards,
  Michael Karcher