[flashrom] disaster

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu May 20 12:50:39 CEST 2010

Hi Julio,

it seems flashrom at flashrom.org was left out of the conversation by
accident. I've added it back, please use the "reply all" button in the
future.

On 20.05.2010 12:12, Julio Barrios wrote:
> Hi Carl-Daniel, Joseph and Michael,
>
> Many thanks for your replies. I very much appreciate it. I'm not sure if a
> flash chip is the same as the BIOS chip (I'm a complete newbie here and am
> just learning a bit, and destroying computers along the way it seems LOL!).
> Anyway, my BIOS is a Phoenix D686 and my PC is a Dell Inspiron 530.

"Phoenix D686" is probably written on a sticker. Can you peel off the
sticker and tell us what's written on the BIOS flash chip?

> By the look of things, I guess that I will need to buy a new motherboard. If
> that is the case, then I will need to buy one that is compatible with linux
> because I'm not prepared to give up Ubuntu and go back to Windows.
>
> If you need any more information so that you can help me, please let me
> know.

Some people/companies in the UK offer services to reflash mainboards.
That might be what you want, but I'm not sure if the shipping cost is
worth it.
Besides that, some vendors might offer top hat flash solutions for your
board, but I'm not 100% sure about this.

> Again, guys, thanks a lot.
>
> Julio

Good luck!

--