[flashrom] disaster

Michael Karcher flashrom at mkarcher.dialup.fu-berlin.de
Thu May 20 00:38:08 CEST 2010

Am Mittwoch, den 19.05.2010, 22:57 +0100 schrieb Julio Barrios:
> I guess I have just ruined my computer. I was trying flashrom under
> Ubuntu 10.04. All seemed to have gone well. I turned off my PC,
> but...well, you surely know the rest of the story. I cannot find any
> way of getting it to start. Any ideas that may help me will be very
> much appreciated.
>
> By the way, my PC is a Dell Inspiron 530.
For those not following the IRC channel: Julio played around with
flashrom and erased without really knowing what he was doing. So the PC
does not start because there is no BIOS anymore in that computer. The
flashchip is soldered, making replacement harder.

IIRC, we recently had a link showing two stacked flash chips (but I
think they were parallel, not LPC/FWH) with some control signals only
connected to the top one - the idea was to mount a working flash chip on
top of the one with damaged/wrong contents without removing the lower
one from the system. Anyone knows what I'm talking about and still has
the link?

Regards,
  Michael Karcher