[flashrom] further ideas for future development of flashrom

Matthias Olescher matthias_olescher at gmx.de
Sat May 8 00:01:22 CEST 2010

Hello,

after a short mail discussion with Carl-Daniel I want to present some new ideas and questions to everybody.

Is there any solution to get the ft2232h or even the 1232h-development board to put it on an breadboard, similar to tiny boards with ft232 or ft245, for a moderate price? Farnell is very expensive and for digikey is it too less for shipping and sometimes the customs do not believe in free shipping and raise VAT on an fictive amount of 50-70 € for shipping.

V-USB is not a solution because it is too slow. Carl-Daniel has mentioned the project Serprog of Urja Rannikko, can you send me please detailed information about how to build it and the source-code for the AVR? You can link it directly to an ft232 and so you can spare an max232 on both sides.

Another solution for classical flashes was the IDE-Flasher of www.loet.de
modified (but not tested yet, because of an lost example board) in http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/bastelecke/Rund%20um%20den%20PC/Programmierger%C3%A4te/IDE-Flasher%20kompakt/ Unfortunatly the software is closed source, abandoned and doesn't mention newer development in the flash market.

Another solution is a new MSP430 series with USB-Interface.
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/msp430f5529.html
It is clocked up to 25 MHz, has from 32 kB up to 128 kB flash and 4+2 up to 8+2 kB Ram. It is aviable in 64VQFN 80LQFP and 80BGA. TI sends free samples to companies and research institutes e.g. universities. These MSP have not only SPI in Hardware a full speed USB but also enough gpio-pins for parallel flashes. The MSP430 is optimized for C programming, based on an instruction set of the DEC PDP.

Another hint: it is not good to save screenshots and shematics in .jpg until they have been made with a digital camera or a scanner. .png with an reduced color depth is the optimal solution.

If you want to answer me directly you can also do it in german.

Thank you for every good answer.

Matthias
--
Das war's.