[flashrom] External programmers

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue May 4 18:06:14 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to find out which external programmers should be supported next.

1. There was talk of an AVR-based new programmer using the serprog
protocol on IRC by someone with the nick "coldelectrons", but I have no
idea if he/she is reading this mail. IMHO more hardware using the
serprog protocol is always a good idea.

2. All those Willem/Sivava variants. People regularly request those, but
I don't think anyone in here owns the hardware.

3. RayeR's SPIPGM. I have a preliminary patch which could work, but I
don't have the hardware. Will send the patch to the list soon.

4. LPC^2, Milksop, CheapLPC and other programmers from the Xbox modding
community.

5. Dozens of SPI programmer hardware projects scattered over the net.
Too many to count, and I'm not sure which of them has more than one user.

In general, it seems creating a new programmer hardware design is like
writing IRC clients: A nice way to get started in the field. I have no
problems merging flashrom support for all of them, but I won't implement
support for all of them myself.

http://www.hailfinger.org/