[flashrom] Hardware Sequencing vs Software Sequencing

john warwick btwvolcano at live.com
Tue Mar 30 07:42:27 CEST 2010

Hi,

I was looking at Intel ICH SPI specs, and saw that there are a few registers on hardware sequencing. I was hence thinking on the feasibility of hardware sequencing.

But then I saw that for hardware sequencing, I cannot find any registers where I can input opcodes like reading/writing to status registers. This is unlike software sequencing, where there is actually pre-op (06h) and other opcodes like 01h (writing status register) and 05h (reading status register).

So I was thinking if the host CPU/Bios Master can actually still do flashing of the Bios itself using hardware sequencing, without the need of pre-op such as 06h?

Thanks!