[flashrom] Fwd: Re: [coreboot] GSoC 2010

Paul Millar paul at astro.gla.ac.uk
Tue Mar 9 12:22:01 CET 2010

[resent from different email address]

Hi Carl-Daniel,

BTW, I'm <paul at astro.gla.ac.uk> and also <paul.millar at desy.de>.  Both
addresses will work, but I try to keep the DESY account for work stuff.  I'm
also subscribed to the coreboot mailing list, but I'm not always up-to-date
with the latest developments :)

On Sunday 07 March 2010 21:47:21 Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> I'm one of the developers of flashrom <http://www.flashrom.org/> which
> aims to be a generic utility for programming all kinds of flash EEPROMs
> on your mainboard, on storage/network/graphics cards, and in external
> programmers.
> There is some interest in integrating parts of your firebrand code to
> support a Willem backend/driver for flashrom. Would that be OK with you?
> flashrom is GPLv2.

I think that's an excellent idea.  The code-base is available under LGPL v2.1
and was written with as a library to facilitate people using it in their own
software.  That said, I believe the supplied CLI tool is the only code that
links against the library, so if the API proves problematic, we can try to
adjust it to match.

Incidentally, the project is now also available from the SVN repository here:

    http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/firebrand/

Cheers,

Paul.