[flashrom] SPI Flashing via Bus-Pirate to DFI T3H6

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Jun 18 14:59:47 CEST 2010

Hi Daniel,

On 18.06.2010 12:02, Daniel Flinkmann wrote:
> Am 17.06.2010 um 16:00 schrieb Carl-Daniel Hailfinger:
>
>> Side note: My AAI patch on the list might result in a faster write if
>> you change the write function for your chip in flashchips.c. It does not
>> support progres printing, though, so you might want to wait for an
>> updated progress printing patch.
>
> I think I will wait for a combination of the AAI patch + Progress bar + 3x BP-Speedpatch.

Very understandable. I still need to figure out where the 6x slowdown
comes from. Maybe the Linux usbserial driver is crappy, or maybe the Bus
Pirate has some internal issues with FTDI<->PIC communication.

>> I think I read somewhere on dangerousprototypes.com that OpenOCD support
>> was broken in some firmware versions. We use essentially the same interface.
>> Anyway, I reported your problem here:
>> http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/index.php?topic=651.0
>>
> So they suggest to send a dummy spi command first and then start. Thats a quick
> and dirty workaround. Shall I hang in a Logic Analyzer between the Bus-Pirate and the
> spi-flash to figure out the communication exactly?

That would be awesome! A logic analyzer trace with an unpatched
"flashrom -VV" would help a lot. Admittedly the trace gets less
interesting after probing the second chip, but what's essential for me
is to compare what's happening on the wire for the first and the second
probe.
Unfortunately SPI does not have any dummy command, so I don't see a
cheap workaround for a possibly broken first command (well, we could
issue a RDID command which is the command we also use for probing).

> By the way: The flashing yesterday was not only sucessfull, Bus-Pirate and Flashrom saved
> my bricked T3H6 mainboard and the pc is running perfectly again. Thanks for all the support
> on this.

Congratulations, this is awesome. Sales pitch follows.  ;-)
Please spread the word, write about flashrom in your blog and tell your
friends. And please stay on the list and/or IRC, we're always happy
about people following development, and maybe you'll send some patches
of your own in the future.

> And I heard through the grapevine that a pirate in a bus is driving to Tübingen somewhere in the
> next 2-3 weeks ;-)

Awesome! I'm really happy about that.

Congratulations again for the smooth recovery.

http://www.hailfinger.org/