[flashrom] Need all the help I can get

Mike miked63017 at live.com
Thu Jun 17 22:34:41 CEST 2010

Hi I work for laptopuniverse.com and we deal with a lot of optical drives.
From time to time we get requests for certain firmwares on drives and
sometimes they cannot be downloaded or backed up from original(no
manufacturer tools). So one day I saw your website and convinced my Boss to
buy DLP-USB1232H to try and extract some firmware. We are trying to extract
from macronix chips in the MX25L1605 family. exact part numbers are
25L1605AM2C and 25L1605DM2I. There are other for which compatibility would
be nice but I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction for
how to readd from and write to these chips. Flashrom returns this - Generic
unknown SPI chip (RDID)" (0 KB, SPI) at physical address 0x0 .   Is there
something I am doing wrong the chip is really small and hard to solder leads
too could I be burning the chip? the first one I did got so hot the model
numbers could no longer be seen on it, but my second try looks pretty good. I
can send you samples to work on if that would help. If you know of a better
setup to accomplish firmware extraction without manufacturer support please
let me know.

Thank You,
Mike
LaptopUniverse.com