[flashrom] SPI Flashing via Bus-Pirate to DFI T3H6

Daniel Flinkmann DFlinkmann at gmx.de
Thu Jun 17 12:54:45 CEST 2010

Hi Carl-Daniel,

Am 17.06.2010 um 12:32 schrieb Carl-Daniel Hailfinger:

>> At the moment I am still waiting for the end of the write flash command,
>> which is running since 23:22 CET yesterday (So that are 8 hour running).
>
> If I take into account the too long timing you were experiencing during
> read, the expected write time (with my 3x speedup patch) is roughly 9 hours.

As Homer says: Doh!

I had to stop the writing again (probably after 8,5 hours, because I wasn't expecting
to wait so long and I needed my computer which ran the ssh session elsewhere.
So I had to restart the process in a gnu screen session today morning and left
it running. Excuse me for that dumb idea to not running the flashrom in a HUPable
 situation.

>> Erasing was complete at aprox 23:38:30 , so roughly after 13 minutes, which is much better. Up to now, I am waiting 8 hours to see any additional reporting, but flashrom is still running.
>>

> It might make sense to abort if it is still running after 12 hours total
> (4 hours after your mail). If you abort, please read the chip afterwards
> and upload the read file here: http://wedgewww.dyndns.org/uploader/

Yes, I will do so.

By the way. The first reading tests I have done ( svn1048, 1048+3xBP-patch and
1048+3xBP-patch+no_delay-patch) resulted in three identical binary files. I just
double checked that with an md5sum.

>> I will try the test with a first spi command later and report again.
>>
> Thanks.

As you expected, the first spi command fails all the time. I added my normally detected spi flash
device and retried it, which causes the same error:

root at zwerg:~# flashrom -p buspirate_spi:dev=/dev/ttyUSB0 -c SST25VF080B -VV
flashrom v0.9.2-r1048-with-3xspeed-bp-patch on Linux 2.6.32-22-server (x86_64), built with libpci 3.0.0, GCC 4.4.3, little endian
flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org

Calibrating delay loop... OS timer resolution is 1 usecs, 298M loops per second, 10 myus = 11 us, 100 myus = 101 us, 1000 myus = 1050 us, 10000 myus = 9990 us, 4 myus = 5 us, OK.
Initializing buspirate_spi programmer
SPI speed is 8MHz
buspirate_sendrecv: write 1, read 0 Sending 0x00, receiving
[...]
buspirate_sendrecv: write 1, read 5 Sending 0x00, receiving 0x42 0x42 0x49 0x4f 0x31
Raw bitbang mode version 1
buspirate_sendrecv: write 1, read 4 Sending 0x01, receiving 0x53 0x50 0x49 0x31
Raw SPI mode version 1
buspirate_sendrecv: write 1, read 1 Sending 0x4b, receiving 0x01
buspirate_sendrecv: write 1, read 1 Sending 0x67, receiving 0x01
buspirate_sendrecv: write 1, read 1 Sending 0x8a, receiving 0x01
buspirate_sendrecv: write 1, read 1 Sending 0x03, receiving 0x01
Probing for SST SST25VF080B, 1024 KB: buspirate_sendrecv: write 7, read 7 Sending 0x02 0x13 0x9f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x03, receiving 0x01 0x01 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x01
RDID returned 0x00 0x00 0x00. RDID byte 0 parity violation. probe_spi_rdid_generic: id1 0x00, id2 0x00
No EEPROM/flash device found.
Note: flashrom can never write if the flash chip isn't found automatically.
buspirate_sendrecv: write 1, read 5 Sending 0x00, receiving 0x42 0x42 0x49 0x4f 0x31
Raw bitbang mode version 1
buspirate_sendrecv: write 1, read 0 Sending 0x0f, receiving
Bus Pirate shutdown completed.

> I just sent a progress bar printing patch (OK, it is a really nasty
> hack) to the list.
> If you decide to abort, please use the progress printing patch together
> with the 3x speedup patch. Read/erase time shouldn't suffer that much
> from progress printing, and write probably won't be slowed down that
> much either.

Lets see how far it will be tonight and then I will restart it. I received my backup
BIOS flash today, so I will first install the new flash and see if that PC runs fine
again. If so, I will make a short setup to flash the bricked BIOS externally, so that
we still get forward in with the Bit-Pirate issue.

Cheers,

Daniel

--
	--	www.Flinkmann.de : Unix, Mac, Photography	--