[flashrom] HP Pavilion a250n desktop

Brynet brynet at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 03:01:58 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have an HP Pavilion desktop, it's a P4 system based around the
ICH5/ICH5R, with a 512KB/4Mbit Winbond W39V040FA.

My primary OS is OpenBSD, so I obtained a flashrom livecd apparently
based around debian.

http://www.flashrom.org/Live_CD

It has an older version of flashrom, 0.9.1-r803, but it appears recent
enough.

Looking for a BIOS update I found that HP only has a Windows binary, so
I preceeded to analyse it, 7zip appears to successfull extract a ROM
file along with some other Windows-only files, the rom file appears to
be the same size as one read out using flashrom, which is verified.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-22928-2&os=228&product=326411

Attached are some logs are directed by #flashrom on freenode.

The error during write is as transcribed below:
"Flash image appears to be a legacy BIOS. Disabling Checks."
"Writing flash chip.. ERASE FAIL at 0x0000fc18! Expected=0xff,"
"Read=0x2c, failed byte count from 0x00000000-0007ffff: 0x60d5a"
"ERASE FAILED! (new-line) ERASED FAILED! (new-line) FAILED!"

It then warns me that the flash is in an unknown state, and to not
reboot the machine, it does appear that no damage was caused, a
secondary dump matches the original firmware.

Hope that's helpful,
-Bryan.