[flashrom] [RFC] Uppercase or lowercase hexadecimal numbers?

Michael Karcher flashrom at mkarcher.dialup.fu-berlin.de
Mon Jul 5 11:59:31 CEST 2010

Am Montag, den 05.07.2010, 05:34 -0400 schrieb Joseph Smith:
> > My personal favourite is lowercase hex (don't need to hit shift that
> > way), but I don't know what you prefer.
> In my opinion uppercase is only meant for preprocessing directives and
> macros, everything else should be lower case including hex values. That is
> my 2 cents worth.

OK, we heard enough points for lowercase, let me explain why I prefer
uppercase hex letters. Please don't read that as a request to change
flashrom to upper case, though. If you all agree on lowercase, that's
fine with me.

All (decimal) digits are full-height symbols. So I prefer the extra
digits to be full-height too, so the number has an rectangular outline.
A block of four digit hex numbers has the same outline for all numbers
only when using uppercase letters.

In these two columns, I consider the right one to look more cluttered,
for example.
0x1123    0x1123
0x145A    0x145a
0x7BA0    0x7ba0

At the same time, i prefer the lowercase "x" in 0xDEADBEEF, so that the
"0x" prefix stands out.

Regards,
  Michael Karcher