[flashrom] Big problem after flash of SST SST25VF016B on HP Compaq 615

Parallix Parallix at aachen-central.de
Sun Jan 10 13:34:26 CET 2010

Am Sonntag, 10. Januar 2010 13:18:24 schrieb Michael Karcher:
> Am Sonntag, den 10.01.2010, 09:32 +0100 schrieb Parallix:
> > > Download the FreeDOS flash updater,
> >
> > I don't know the "FreeDOS flash updater".
> HP download page for the HP Compaq 615. It won't work if there somewhere
> is "=de" in the URL, change that to "=en".

The only one I found is on
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=uk&prodNameId=3958412&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3958411&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2020
marked to be "ROMPaq for HP Notebook System BIOS (68GVV) – FreeDOS Bootable Media" with BIOS revision "F.06" dated 3 Aug 2009 and thus  much older the BIOS which is already on the laptop.

I'll check if this ROMPaq contains a generic updater which is only bundled with an old BIOS revision. If so, I would kindly advise HP to put this updater separate from any BIOS revision on their web page.

> > > extract it with cabextract,
> > cabextract is also available under Linux
> That's the one I was referring to.

OK, thanks.

> > > Having you test flashrom stuff would still be nice.
> > what do you want to have?
> Probably we are going to find out how to update your flash completely
> (i.e. remove the boot block protection), and we need someone to test
> that.

I can perform the tests if there is a not so bad chance to keep the laptop alive.

> Regards,
>   Michael Karcher

Best,

Parallix