[flashrom] Big problem after flash of SST SST25VF016B on HP Compaq 615

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sat Jan 9 21:55:56 CET 2010

Hi

On 09.01.2010 20:33, Parallix wrote:
> Somewhat strage: After flashing the old bios with the suggested patch I got
> the following error output:
>
> flashrom v0.9.1-r845
> No coreboot table found.
> Found chipset "AMD SB700/SB710/SB750", enabling flash write... OK.
> This chipset supports the following protocols: LPC,FWH,SPI.
> Calibrating delay loop... OK.
> Found chip "SST SST25VF016B" (2048 KB, SPI) at physical address 0xffe00000.
> Flash image seems to be a legacy BIOS. Disabling checks.
> Writing flash chip... Erasing flash before programming... done.

Hm. Since the erase command was disabled, this "success" is expected.

> COMPLETE.
> Verifying flash... VERIFY FAILED at 0x00010058! Expected=0x15, Read=0x05, failed byte count from 0x00000000-0x001fffff: 0x12d075
>
> A verification by reading the BIOS (via flashrom -r <file>) and comparing it with
> the original bios (via diff) shows the same difference.

This is very odd. Can you try flashing the backup BIOS with unmodified
latest flashrom, then read back the result?

Please mail me personally at <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> the
following files (preferably bz2 compressed):
- original backup
- readback image after flashing with unmodified latest flashrom

I will take a look.

Developer quote of the year:
"We are juggling too many chainsaws and flaming arrows and tigers."