[flashrom] Error Reading BIOS on Dell Optiplex 745

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 18:06:52 CET 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Adrian Glaubitz
<adrian.glaubitz at googlemail.com> wrote:

> IIRC the newer Dell OptiPlex series have a special way for flashing
> the BIOS. You use a Dell-provided utility to copy the new BIOS image
> into a special (non-volatile?) memory, then reboot the machine. Once
> it reboots, it will automatically start to flash.

wow, how ... special. So you have no visibility into the reflash
process and no idea of its progress.

This is the default mode for many new BIOSes, I understand, since so
many of them are EFI at the core. It's not an improvement for the
customer, but it's what the vendors are going to provide. It's very
disappointing.

ron