[flashrom] DMI matching patch

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Jan 7 15:37:04 CET 2010

On 07.01.2010 11:16, Michael Karcher wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 07.01.2010, 10:25 +0100 schrieb Luc Verhaegen:
>
>>> Fair enough. I added it. Specifying one string to match is not
>>> increasing complexity much, although it will be a three-character hit on
>>> the board_enable table (if you specify like "bp:^A8V MX$" for baseboard
>>> product match for example). Luc, please NACK if you think the it is too
>>> much.
>>>
>> That's way too contrived for my taste.
>>
> That's what I expected, and that's why I didn't commit yet. I won't
> commit until you and Carl-Daniel agree on the necessity of providing
> which string to match, although I slightly prefer the explicit
> specification of the string to match.

The explicit string match has the advantage of being extensible. More below.

>> We already have pci ids and pci subsystem ids, this is just an extra
>> bit of info that will be the last in precedence for any match.
>>
> Looking at the Asus P5A example (I know that this board is severly
> outdated, which might make this point less strong) there are no
> subsystem IDs at all in it. So when we start looking for DMI info we
> don't have any indication yet that we are on an Asus board. If we really
> have good subsystem IDs, we don't need DMI.

Yes. And in case we ever want to match two strings at once, the "bp:^A8V
MX$" can be extended easily to
"bvbp:^ASUS$:^A8V MX$" without changing any structs at all. Especially
in the case where there is no usable PCI subsystem ID (board vendor not
present) this may come handy. I'd wait for such an extension until we
really desperately need it, though.

Developer quote of the year:
"We are juggling too many chainsaws and flaming arrows and tigers."