[flashrom] DMI matching patch

Michael Karcher flashrom at mkarcher.dialup.fu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 7 11:16:14 CET 2010

Am Donnerstag, den 07.01.2010, 10:25 +0100 schrieb Luc Verhaegen:
> > > I'm not so happy about the static allocation here. Can't we use malloc()
> > > for the read buffer and strdup() for filling in dmistrings?
> > Of course we can. On the other hand, I don't really see the point in
> > using dynamic allocation here. If it's about wasted memory, we should
> > approach "struct flashchips" first. The fixed-size arrays in it waste a
> > lot more. Nevertheless, I change it to dynamic allocation. Too bad the
> > nice getline function that reads one line and allocates dynamically is
> > GNU-only and not standard C or at least POSIX.
> This is a run-once tool, the results are not stored, and we do not go
> and run dmidecode several times. Everything filling up any memory should
> be ran once.

Sorry, I don't really understand your statement in this context. We do
not run dmidecode once, but once for each string that might be
interesting, because the machine-readable "-s" interface of dmidecode
can only return one string at once. That's six invocations of dmidecode
per flashrom start. The strings are collected during flashrom
initialization and kept. The context of what you were replying to was
whether the 6 dmi strings are stored in a statically allocated buffer or
in 6 buffers allocated by malloc.

> > Fair enough. I added it. Specifying one string to match is not
> > increasing complexity much, although it will be a three-character hit on
> > the board_enable table (if you specify like "bp:^A8V MX$" for baseboard
> > product match for example). Luc, please NACK if you think the it is too
> > much.
> That's way too contrived for my taste.
That's what I expected, and that's why I didn't commit yet. I won't
commit until you and Carl-Daniel agree on the necessity of providing
which string to match, although I slightly prefer the explicit
specification of the string to match.

> If you really believe it is
> necessary, then you should provide an enum entry right in front of the
> string.
Yeah. This would make the data structure cleaner...

> But then the board enable table is taking another big hit, and this i
> would like to avoid at all cost.
... but I avoided it for exactly this reason. Especially because it will
add only one empty column on boards that don't need DMI matching.

> We already have pci ids and pci subsystem ids, this is just an extra
> bit of info that will be the last in precedence for any match.
Looking at the Asus P5A example (I know that this board is severly
outdated, which might make this point less strong) there are no
subsystem IDs at all in it. So when we start looking for DMI info we
don't have any indication yet that we are on an Asus board. If we really
have good subsystem IDs, we don't need DMI.

Regards,
  Michael Karcher