[flashrom] Bios flashing gone wrong (Ubuntu Karmic) - help please

Michael Karcher flashrom at mkarcher.dialup.fu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 10 14:08:38 CET 2010

Am Mittwoch, den 10.02.2010, 11:28 +0100 schrieb michel.guesdon at free.fr:
> When attempting to flash a new version of a Bios on a Compaq Evo D510 e-pc,
> toreplace the old jk0101.rom, I got an error message
>
> What can I do now ?
>
> Thank you for your help.

> Found chipset "Intel ICH4/ICH4-L", enabling flash write... OK.
[chipset detected OK]
[no special mainboard detected]
> This chipset supports the following protocols: Non-SPI.
> Calibrating delay loop... OK.
> Found chip "SST SST49LF004A/B" (512 KB, FWH) at physical address 0xfff80000.
[chip detected]

> Flash image seems to be a legacy BIOS. Disabling checks.
> Writing flash chip... ERASE FAILED at 0x000100f7!
Chances are *very* high that the chip is erase protected in a mainboard
specific way, and nothing happened up to now. If you have a backup of
your old BIOS created by flashrom -r, run "flashrom -v oldbios.bin". If
it outputs "VERIFIED", you are safe to reboot (with your old BIOS).

To have your mainboard supported by flashrom, please mail the output of
'flashrom -V', 'lspci -nnvvvxxx', 'superiotool -deV' (all commands as
root), the exact name of your board (including revision, if there are
multiple revisions), and a link to the official BIOS download to
flashrom at flashrom.org , as this information is needed to find out how to
disable the flash chip write protection on your board. Probably
superiotool is not installed on your system. Get it from
http://www.coreboot.org/Superiotool#Installation .

One of our developers will take a look at your report and contact you
once a patch is ready. This might take a few weeks because we're all
volunteers and the TODO list is rather big.

Regards,
  Michael Karcher