[flashrom] Status of dediprog support?

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Tue Dec 14 00:18:16 CET 2010

On 12/13/2010 03:20 AM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

> - Check _every_ SPI chip if it can handle the FAST READ (0x0b) command
> and mark the ones which can't, because the Dediprog driver uses FAST
> READ by default, and all other SPI programmer drivers use the standard
> READ (0x03) command, so a read test for any given chip with the Dediprog
> is useless for all other programmer drivers...

What about reversing this?  Assume all chips don't support fast read and
then mark the ones that do.  Then people who are responsible for trying
to use the Dediprog with a particular chip would be the ones to go
through and change the setting for chips they are using.

A list of supported chips for the SF100 is available at the dediprog site:

http://www.dediprog.com/device_support.php

Assuming that the dediprog really does fast read then going through that
list setting .fast_read=1 for each chip listed is a whole lot less work
than grovelling through the data sheet for every chip that flashrom
supports.

I worry that if you add a depends of full dediprog support on a complete
chip audit then it won't happen for a long time.  Someone could run
through the list of chips the Dediprog supports in probably an hour or so.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child