[flashrom] Tyan 2915 and 2915-E --- test report

Axel Bergerhoff axelbergerhoff at compuserve.com
Mon Aug 30 08:27:23 CEST 2010

> Am Donnerstag, 29. Juli 2010 schrieb Uwe Hermann:
> > On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 11:06:10AM +0200, Axel Bergerhoff wrote:
> > > Just flashed the first one with flashrom, worked fine.
> >
> > Thanks, we marked the S2915 as supported. If you get a chance to also
> > test S2915-E please let us know.
> >

> > Uwe.
>
> All of our 2915-E boards that are still running older BIOS versions are
> attached to server boxes. As the BIOS settings are reset to defaults while
> flashing (no matter if flashrom or phlash16 is used) and the defaults
> prevent the OS from booting up, an immediate reboot and readjust is
> mandatory.
>
> I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks now - I'll test when I'm back.
>
> Axel

Back again. Successfully flashed one 2915-E some minutes ago.

<Description>
* Environment
** board:	Tyan Thunder n6650W (S2915A2NRF-E)
** flashrom:	flashrom-0.9.2-r1096
** new BIOS:	2915v401.ROM (from S2915-E_v401.zip)

* Procedure
** Reduce file size of 2915v401.ROM
   As somebody already mentioned some time ago ROMs for 2915 and 2915-E are
   bigger than 1 MB - but the rest is not needed. To avoid error messages from
   flashrom, the ROM file should be cut off. There are many ways to do, I used
   split:
	split -b 1m 2915v401.ROM
   This gives two files, xaa and xab, where xaa is the choosen one.
** Save the active ROM content to a file, e.g. ROM.sav
	flashrom -r ROM.sav
** Flash
	flashrom -w xaa
   Should return with "Verified"
** Reboot
** Readjust the BIOS settings!
   Many board manufacturers claim BIOS setup to be reset to some default but
   actually leave everything untouched. Here resetting _is_ done (no matter if
   flashrom or the DOS based tool from Tyan is used), disabling your RAID
   controller as a boot device, disabling IOMMU, setting system time some
   years to the past, ..
</Description>

Thanks for doing a good job!
Axel