[flashrom] Urgent: Flash part would be destroied by flashrom 0.9.2 once manager application is running.

Hony.Chiang at mic.com.tw Hony.Chiang at mic.com.tw
Wed Aug 11 04:27:13 CEST 2010

Hi Sirs,

Nice to have your support. I get the serious problem on flashrom 0.9.2 on our server systems. We always have to run 3rd party manager application to call up flashrom for BIOS upgrade. However, flashrom would be failed on “Verifying flash” step because some of programmed data in flash part is different with ones in golden ROM image file on random offset addresses. This defect occurs on Red Hat 5 x64, SLES 10 x64 and SLES 11 x64. If I run flashrom tool manually without this 3rd application, it would always flash SPI part successfully. Due to the 3rd party application is confidential, it can not be provided to you for defect reproduction.

Q1: May I suspect that expected data that is written to mapped virtual memory space by flashrom is overwritten or interfered by other process from 3rd application before SPI host controller operates these data to SPI ROM?

Q2: May I suspect that expected data that is written to mapped virtual memory space by flashrom is not sync to physical memory space immediately when SPI host controller operates these data to SPI ROM?

Q3: In order to prevent other process to interfere /dev/mem, mapped virtual memory space or physical memory space that flashrom uses, would you have any idea or some slice codes to lock them during flashrom operation?

Q4: Would you have any idea to trace the root cause interfered flashrom?

Please advise me your professional comments. Thanks!!

Verbose message:

Programming flash

 done.

COMPLETE.

Verifying flash... VERIFY FAILED at 0x00017ca4! Expected=0xff, Read=0x25, failed

byte count from 0x00000000-0x003fffff: 0x3a

Your flash chip is in an unknown state.

Get help on IRC at irc.freenode.net (channel #flashrom) or

mail flashrom at flashrom.org!

DO NOT REBOOT OR POWEROFF!