[flashrom] How do you calculate CRC/Checksum for Intel ICH8M-E ?

Bill Flanders (wtflanders) wtflanders at micron.com
Tue Apr 20 23:33:31 CEST 2010

Hi,

Any idea of what algorithm and bytes to use to update the CRC/Checksum
in the flash image?

The mac address is stored in the image.  I have written a script to
update the mac address and know where the CRC/Checksum is.  I have tried
various algorithms (those supported by Hex Workshop- Checksum-8 and -16,
CRC-8 and -16, etc. w/1's and 2's complements) but am unable to
duplicate a known checksum.

Hardware is a  Kontron ETX Express module,  flashrom reports:   'Found
Chipset "Intel ICH8M-E"  ...',   'Found chip "SST SST25VF016B"  ...'

Thanks in advance,

Bill Flanders