[flashrom] SST25VF016B flash chip is not respondin in INTEL EP80579 PROCESSOR using Flashrom utility

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Apr 15 20:31:17 CEST 2010

Hi Sougata,

On 15.04.2010 07:05, sougata barik wrote:
>    I am unable to use flashrom utility in my system. I am using EP80579
> processor by Intel ans having one flashchip SST25VF061B which is
> connected to the processor by SPI interface.
>

>> [root at localhost flashrom-0.9.0]# ./flashrom -V
>> Calibrating delay loop... 339M loops per second, 100 myus = 198 us. OK.

You are using a very old flashrom version. Please use at least 0.9.1
(this will give better error messages) or latest code from svn (this
might will tell you exactly what's wrong).

>> No coreboot table found.
>> Found chipset "Intel EP80579", enabling flash write...
>> BIOS Lock Enable: disabled, BIOS Write Enable: enabled, BIOS_CNTL is 0x1
>>
>> Root Complex Register Block address = 0xfed1c000
>> GCS = 0xd70260: BIOS Interface Lock-Down: disabled, BOOT BIOS Straps: 0x0 (SPI)
>> Top Swap : not enabled
>> SPIBAR = 0xfed1c000 + 0x3020
>> 0x58: 0x05200302 (OPMENU)
>> 0x5c: 0x00016090 (OPMENU+4)
>> WARNING: SPI Configuration Lockdown activated.

This message means that probing for most chips is not possible because
the BIOS has forbidden the classic probe command.

>> Generating OPCODES... done
>> SPI Read Configuration: prefetching disabled, caching enabled, OK.
>> Probing for SST SST25VF016B, 2048 KB: Transaction error!
>> run OPCODE 0x90 failed
>> Probing for SST SST25VF032B, 4096 KB: Transaction error!
>> run OPCODE 0x90 failed
>> Probing for SST SST25VF040B, 512 KB: Transaction error!
>> run OPCODE 0x90 failed
>> Probing for SST SST25VF040.REMS, 512 KB: Transaction error!
>> run OPCODE 0x90 failed
>> Probing for SST SST25VF040B.REMS, 512 KB: Transaction error!
>> run OPCODE 0x90 failed
>> Probing for SST SST25VF080B, 1024 KB: Transaction error!
>> run OPCODE 0x90 failed

Interesting. I wonder whether these messages appear even with latest
flashrom from svn.

>> Probing for ST M25P40, 512 KB: Transaction error!
>> run OPCODE 0x90 failed
>> Probing for ST M25P40-old, 512 KB: Transaction error!
>> run OPCODE 0x90 failed
>> Invalid OPCODE 0xab
>> No EEPROM/flash device found.
>>

> please tell me what should I change to work this utility.

Try very latest flashrom from svn. I think it will not find your chip,
but "flashrom -V" will tell us if there is a chance to get it working
for you.

http://www.hailfinger.org/