[flashrom] ERASE (or write) not working on Fujitsu Lifebook P7120

Michael Karcher flashrom at mkarcher.dialup.fu-berlin.de
Thu Apr 8 08:52:55 CEST 2010

Am Mittwoch, den 07.04.2010, 20:19 +0300 schrieb Mikko Strahlendorff:
> WARNING! You seem to be running flashrom on a laptop.
> Laptops, notebooks and netbooks are difficult to support and we recommend
> to use the vendor flashing utility. The embedded controller (EC) in these
> machines often interacts badly with flashing.
> See http://www.flashrom.org/Laptops for details.
First: You should have read this warning. It means that flashing laptops
is completely at your own risk, no warranties included. Bricking laptops
is usually easier than bricking desktops, and on the other hand,
recovering laptops is usually more difficult than recovering desktops,
as laptops have the flash ROM chip soldered.

In your system, you *might* be lucky in that the embedded controller is
not using the main flash chip for storage of its code; on my FSC S7110 I
am sure that the EC is independent of the flash chip. Be advicesd that
although the numbers are similar, it is a completely different machine,
though.

To help getting flashrom support for your laptop (still at your own
risk!), please send the output of "flashrom -V" (already done), "lspci
-nnvvvxxx" and "superiotool -deV" to this list. Installation
instructions for superiotool are at
http://www.coreboot.org/Superiotool#Installation

Also include a link to the official BIOS download. No promise can be
made that support for your system is possible, but it is quite likely
that you just need a board specific write-unprotection function.

Regards,
  Michael Karcher