[flashrom] "ERASED FAILED!" messages for ICH2 / SST49LF0002A/B

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Sep 30 11:03:29 CEST 2009

Hi Allan,

On 30.09.2009 02:31, Allan Björklund wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 September 2009, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger, wrote:
>
>> I looked at the messages you got and also at the great debugging you did
>>

>   Thank you.  I used to do front line IT support, and currently do third
> level support.  Thusly I know how frustrating it can be to get an
> incomplete report of a problem.

Ah. That explains the concise message style with all the info I needed
for diagnosis.

>> On 29.09.2009 23:31, Allan Bjorklund wrote:
>>
>>> A Sony Vaio (PCV-RX650(UC)), with an ASUSTeK mother board (P4B266LM
>>> Rev: 1.xx), running Linux kernel 2.6.28.
>>>
>> Flashrom interacts non-trivially with the embedded controllers in
>> laptops, so we recommend not to use flashrom on any laptop.
>>

> Actually, this is a VAIO Desktop.  My bad, that I didn't mention that.

Ok, then it makes sense (and almost zero risk) to add flashrom support
for your machine.

>> - Ask libv in #flashrom on freenode to develop a board enable routine
>> for your board. [...]
>>
> Thanks for the advice.  The requested data is below.  Now I just have to
> see if I still have an IRC client around.  It's been a few years ... :-)

I think freenode has a HTML-only webchat at http://webchat.freenode.net/
which should work for you.

> Output of lspci -nnvvvxxx:
> [...]

Thanks.

> Output of superiotool -dV:
>
> superiotool r

Can you tell us which superiotool revision this is? Straight from
subversion or from some distribution package? In theory, superiotool
should have printed a revision number.

> Probing for Winbond Super I/O (init=0x87,0x87) at 0x2e...
> Found Winbond W83637HF/HG (id=0x70, rev=0x81) at 0x2e
> No dump available for this Super I/O

Hm. Uwe knows these Winbond Super I/O chips very well. Maybe he can add
support for your Super I/O. Maybe Luc doesn't need the output. We'll see.

A hint about timing, though: Most people in #flashrom live in Europe
(roughly UTC+2), so you might want to time your presence in #flashrom to
coincide with the evening hours here. That increases your chance to get
a response (it still may take an hour until someone there reacts, we're
not that big a group).

http://www.hailfinger.org/