[flashrom] Trial of ARIMA:HDAMA Motherboard

Spangler, Mike T mike.t.spangler at boeing.com
Fri Sep 18 18:55:51 CEST 2009

Carl -

  I've corrected my email and am now sending to the group.

> Of course I'd prefer it if you tried to flash coreboot (new name of
> LinuxBIOS) to these boards, but that's your choice. Anyway, you said you
> have the factory BIOS around somewhere. Is it the one at
> http://flextronics.com/arima/Server/Download/Download/HDAMA189.zip ?

I can't use flash coreboot (LinuxBIOS) because our cluster management tools require pxeboot.  We've transitioned away from it.

So, the bios zip file above is correct, but I'm not using it.  It will not work for flashing a chip with LinuxBios.  The way I do this is to do a "flashrom -r" on a system with factory bios and then take that newly created flashrom file and do a "flashrom -w" with it on a board with LinuxBios.    This is the method we used with the old bios_copy software from Linux Networx, but that was extremely unreliable.

> Hmm ok. I think we have enough docs to iterate through all possible
> board enables. How many of these boards do you have (in case we trash
> the ROM of one of them)?

The ROM is removeable, so we only potentially trash a PLCC chip.  I have a half dozen or so spares.

Mike