[flashrom] [RFC] Output and progress bars

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Sep 18 14:49:58 CEST 2009

To librarize flashrom, we have to move away from printf to generic
printing functions.

I'd like to classify messages into four severity levels:
* Error (out of memory, write failed, ...)
* Warning (chipset init incomplete, ...)
* Notice (chip detected, flashing successful)
* Debug

I also would like to differentiate between controller related and
flashchip related messages. E.g. one might be interested in verbose
probing output, but not in full SB600 SPI debugging for every command
sent. Since all messages above debug level are shown anyway, this
differentiation makes most sense if only applied to debug messages.
Suggested set of message functions (all with printk syntax):
msg_err
msg_warn
msg_notice
msg_debug_controller
msg_debug_flash

Progress printing is done with dots, equals, numbers, sometimes with,
sometimes without backspace for beautification. Some focus on
percentage, others focus on addresses. With a maxval parameter, we can
handle policy on a case-by-case basis.
Suggested progress bar function:
progressbar(int curval, int maxval)

Comments appreciated.