[flashrom] Flashrom write on a Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 motherboard

Davíð Þór Þórarinsson david.thor at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 20:39:50 CEST 2009

Hello there good people,

I assebled a new computer the other day and I just successfully
updated the BIOS on the motherboard using the flashrom utility found
in the latest development build of Kubuntu (version 9.10). The kernel
version being used is 2.6.31 (which is still an RC at this stage)

Some interesting facts: The chipset in this product is not on your
list of supported chipsets, nor is the motherboard found on your list
of supported motherboards. the chipset according to the manual is
North Bridge: AMD770, South Bridge: AMD SB710. As this motherboard
supports dual bios (that supposedly reverts back to the old if the
flash write didn't work) then I decided to go ahead and try flashrom
out to see if it could help me out.

And it worked like a charm!

During the flash update, both the motherboard and chipset were wrongly
identified. Here is the output from the operation:

flashrom v0.9.0-r631
No coreboot table found
Found Chipset "AMD SB700", enabling flash write... OK
Found board "GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H", enabling flash write... FAILED!
Calibrating delay loop... OK.
Found chip "Macronix MX25L8005" (1024 KB) at physical address 0xFFF00000.
Flash image seems to be a legacy BIOS. Disabling checks.
Writing flash chip... Erasing flash before programming... done.
Programming flash................. done.
COMPLETE.
Verifying flash... VERIFIED.

Anyway, your site said to get in touch with results (good or bad) so
here I am. I would also like to thank you for this utility and to let
you know that if I can supply you with more information about this
system if needed.

Best regards,

/David