[flashrom] via epia cn1000eg flash failed.

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Sun Oct 18 18:11:10 CEST 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 03:40:43PM +0200, Yuri Schaeffer wrote:
> Hi,
> I tried to flash to the latest BIOS for my board but it failed at
> verifying. The backup I made a few minutes earlier has the same problem.
>  I did not (dare to) reboot the system. Attached flashrom output and
> lspci -vvnnxxx.
>
> board: via epia cn 1000eg
> southbr: VT8237R Plus (according to the specs)
> flashrom: v0.9.1-r750
> bios image: 1.14, 2009/07/31,
> http://www.via.com.tw/servlet/downloadSvl?id=400&download_file_id=4942
>
> Currently I have no idea how to repair my system. Folks at #flashrom
> pointed me to here.
>
> --
> yuri

Conclusion for this is that this is most likely a broken flashchip.

Rudolf and Carl-daniel spent a lot of time working with Yuri on irc to
try to resolve this, to no avail.

Rudolf provided a quick hack to try to at least have the checksum be
correct and hopefully have the machine boot again.

But the final solution for Yuri is probably getting a new chip from
somewhere.

Luc Verhaegen.