[flashrom] Winbond W25X16 successful programming

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Oct 16 12:39:17 CEST 2009

Hi Maurizio,

thank you for your report. I will add your chip to the supported list.

On 16.10.2009 10:03, Maurizio Cavalli wrote:
> I had successfully programmed a Winbond W25X16(BVSSIG) chip with flashrom.
>
> Board: ROE RIVER Evaluation Board from Intel
>     (Reference: Intel® AtomTM Processor N270 and Mobile Intel® 945GSE Express Chipset Development Kit User’s Manual - Document number: 320436-002)
> BIOS: Phoenix Embedded BIOS(R) w/StrongFrame(R) Technology.
> Kernel: Linux 2.6.30.2 SMP, compiled from source tree
> Host system: Debian 5.0

The log of your flashrom version had thousands of lines like this:
Invalid OPCODE 0x06
 due to SPI master limitation, ignoring and hoping it will be run as PREOP

I have removed them from your log to make the mail smaller.

It would be great if you could test erase and write with the latest
flashrom from svn as well. The invalid opcode messages should have
disappeared.

> (I apologize we cannot use coreboot because lack of chipsets documentation from Intel. We already tried to port linuxBios onto a PentiumM/82855GME platform, but we failed in setting up the integrated graphic controller)

Oh, that is interesting. So you do already have some code, but it is not
working yet? Could you please send that code to the coreboot mailing
list <coreboot at coreboot.org> so other developers can have a look. Maybe
someone has good docs for that platform.

Developer quote of the week:
"We are juggling too many chainsaws and flaming arrows and tigers."