[flashrom] flashing results for the MS-7094 board

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon Oct 5 02:09:07 CEST 2009

Hi Jelle,

I'm sorry I didn't see your mail earlier. Luc will investigate the issue
you reported.

On 26.08.2009 22:37, Jelle Geerts wrote:
> I've ran flashrom -v {-E,-r,-v,-w} on my MS-7094 board.
> For more info regarding the board, please see
> http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=208
>
> I've attached the results to this e-mail. Reading/verifying/writing
> worked fine. Erasing however, didn't go so well, as you can see in the
> attached log.

Current flashrom (0.9.1 or later) is a lot more paranoid and it would
have detected that the write only succeeded because it didn't change the
parts which could not be erased.

> BTW, two thumbs up to the flashrom developers: the Award flash utility
> did not work (kept saying 'Unknown flash type'), but flashrom did. ;)

Thanks! Such feedback keeps us going.

> Found chipset "VIA VT8237", enabling flash write... OK.
> Found board "MSI K8T Neo2", enabling flash write... OK.

In theory, that board enable routine should have covered the GPIOs needed.
However, flashrom detects your board as "K8T Neo2" although it is a "K8T
Neo2-F V2.0", so that may explain what you're seeing.
The big problem is that these boards often have identical PCI IDs, so
differentiating between them is almost impossible.

Could you please mail the output of "lspci -nnvvxxx" to the list? Maybe
we find some way to differentiate betweent your board and the K8T Neo2.

http://www.hailfinger.org/