[flashrom] BIOS Flash Help

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Nov 27 03:20:41 CET 2009

Hi Cory,

On 27.11.2009 02:46, Cory Cline wrote:
> I was instructed by idwer at #flashrom to mail these command outputs to you.  I just wish to learn how to update my BIOS.
>
> Chipset:AMD SB600

Hm. Is this a laptop? We don't support laptops (yet) because laptops
usually have the flash chip attached to the embedded controller (EC)
instead of the chipset, so the chipset driver in flashrom will not find
any flash chip. We don't have the specs/datasheets for these ECs, and
getting them is near impossible for most manufacturers.

In case this is not a laptop, we need output from "superiotool -deV" (as
root) to check if this machine has flash attached to the SuperI/O
instead of the chipset (we have drivers for those).

> $flashrom -V
> flashrom v0.9.1-r710
> Found chipset "AMD SB600", enabling flash write... SPI base address is at 0x0
> ROM strap override is not active
> This chipset supports the following protocols: LPC,FWH.
> No EEPROM/flash device found.

Developer quote of the month:
"We are juggling too many chainsaws and flaming arrows and tigers."