[flashrom] consts and copies

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Nov 27 01:20:40 CET 2009

On 27.11.2009 01:05, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> On 11/27/09 12:54 AM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>
>> - Handling chips with varying sizes (based on some config byte) is
>> broken by this change.
>>

> Which chips are that?

They have a comment in flashchips.c:
/* Size can only be determined from status register */

>> Plus, we have to convert all of printf(), printf_debug(),
>> fprintf(stderr,) to wrapper functions which can be compiled out or be
>> adapted to serialice.
>>
> that should happen anyways..

Agreed. Patches welcome.

>> And we need a rewritten main(). Doable, but post
>> 0.9.2 material (unless someone sends easy-to-review patches).
>>

> I'd refrain from making main() part of this.. All the other stuff is
> libpayload material... so main() can be done by whoever uses libpayload
> then...

Yes. With libpayload, we can use whatever main() we want. But the
libpayload conversion has to happen.

>> I don't want to discourage you, but it won't be a walk in the park.
>>

> Ok, let's delay this until after 0.9.2

The printf stuff is welcome even before 0.9.2.

The real problem right is the lack of reviewers (and I don't believe in
self-ack nor in commit-for-another-developer-who-has-commit-access).

Developer quote of the month:
"We are juggling too many chainsaws and flaming arrows and tigers."