[flashrom] No EEPROM found (Sony Vaio VGN-FE21S)

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Nov 26 23:51:43 CET 2009

On 26.11.2009 19:34, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> Any ideas?
>
> superiotool finds nothing on this machine. It's i945/ICH7

Hm, yes. It seems we're missing a probe sequence for your superio or EC.

> flashrom v0.9.1-r783
> Found chipset "Intel ICH7M", enabling flash write...
> BIOS Lock Enable: disabled, BIOS Write Enable: enabled, BIOS_CNTL is 0x1

Write is enabled.

> BIOS Interface Lock-Down: disabled, BOOT BIOS Straps: 0x3 (LPC)

Chipset is strapped to use LPC/FWH.

> This chipset supports the following protocols: LPC,FWH.

ICH7 special feature. If it is strapped to LPC/FWH, SPI is really
completely disabled. You can't even probe on SPI. (Yes, we tried.)

> Probing for AMIC A49LF040A, 512 KB: probe_jedec: id1 0x4e, id2 0x41, id1 parity violation, id1 is normal flash content, id2 is normal flash content
> Probing for PMC Pm49FL002, 256 KB: probe_jedec: id1 0x66, id2 0x51, id1 parity violation, id1 is normal flash content, id2 is normal flash content
> Probing for SST SST49LF003A/B, 384 KB: probe_jedec: id1 0x8b, id2 0x04, id1 parity violation, id1 is normal flash content, id2 is normal flash content
> Probing for Winbond W39V080FA, 1024 KB: probe_jedec: id1 0x02, id2 0x18, id1 is normal flash content, id2 is normal flash content

All probe sequences return either a parity violation for the vendor ID
(there is not even a single vendor ID among all few hundred JEDEC mebers
which violates parity) and are thus invalid, or at least the probe
result is identical to the flash contents. Even if this was just an
accident and we look up vendor ID 0x2, I don't believe AMI, National
Instruments, ISOA, Optosys, Innovics Wireless, Patriot Memory, Mavrix
create any BIOS flash (well, Patriot creates flash, but only the large
kind for SSDs).

Given these constraints, I can almost guarantee that the flash is not
directly attached to the chipset, but resides behind some sort of
translator (most probably the EC).
David Hendricks wanted to tackle EC recognition and flashing. No idea
how far he progressed.

Developer quote of the month:
"We are juggling too many chainsaws and flaming arrows and tigers."