[flashrom] flash erase failure

Adrian Glaubitz adrian.glaubitz at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 23 23:57:03 CET 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:52 PM, Thao Hoang <thao_hoang at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks Adrian!  I appreciate the advice and insight.

You're welcome, again.

> I was not able to run superiotool because it wasn't install on my system, however I did run the other two.
> See attachment.  If you really need me to run superiotool, I can download it and run it.

Yes, please install it. It would be nice to have a full output of:

lspci -nnvvvxx
superiotool -dV
flashrom -V

By the way, I don't see your attachments, did you forget them (thats
what I usually do :)). Please post the put of all three
tools like I suggested to the mailing list (flashrom at flashrom.org),
that will help us with your board.

> Don't laugh... but I haven't used IRC chat before.  Never had a reason to until now I guess.  Is there a way to post the chats somewhere so that anyone with a similar problem can go there without taking up your time? hum...

Well, really, IRC is nothing magical or mystical. Just use any
IRC-capable software to connect (like irssi, pidgin, xchat or mIRC).
Set the server to irc.freenode.org and the channel to #flashrom. Then
just start asking questions and many people will
be happy to help you and answer all your questions.

> Also, did I get the syntax correct to force a write <./flashrom -f -w (filename) -c (chipname)>.

Yes, think so. Check the manpage.

> I have a laptop also that doesn't seem to work off the bat.  I was able to force the read and
> find some chips that successfullly read the bios.  (i.e.... forced read and compared the result
> using the original binary which I extracted using a dos bios utility.)

Mhh, okey. Don't hesitate to post all your results to the mailing
list. Please post every laptop and mainboard
and whatever your try to flash in a single mail to the mailing list.

And seriously, join the IRC-channel. You'll learn alot of stuff there.

Adrian