[flashrom] Help writing Atmel AT26DF321 and read/writing Winbond W25X32

Nando nando4eva at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 13:32:30 CET 2009

Hi flashrom,

I've patched the latest flashrom to allow me to dump my bios from Winbond
W25x32 SPI bios chip. Strange thing is I got it to work ONCE successfully,
with a dump that looks good. This worked once, in between hotswaps of the
AT25DF321 chip and I haven't been able to duplicate the read again. I get an
OPCODE 0x03 error with bios dump containg some data at starting few blocks
followed by FFs.  Then I hotswap in a blank Atmel AT25DF321 and do a

./flashrom -w  /2510P-F0A-DUMP.ROM -V

to try to create a copy of my bios, but I get write error starting at
0x3f0000. Now can't AT26DF321 bombs out immediately. I've documented more
details here <http://forums.mydigitallife.info/showthread.php?p=179288>. I
haven't tried writing the original W25X32 but would like to with the SLIC
2.10 string which exists in the range after 0x3f0000 as would others in that
linked thread.

Perhaps you can advise on how I can write that string *ONLY* into the bios?
I know VPRO has some protections it can assign to the bios too, which may
prevent that from happening.

Regards,
Nando