[flashrom] Scary error message

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Nov 10 06:43:43 CET 2009

Hi Fraser,

On 10.11.2009 05:45, Fraser Hanson wrote:
> I flashed my bios with flashrom tonight and got the scary warning
> message saying "erase failed" and "do not reboot".
>
> I haven't rebooted.
>
> As far as I can tell from using flashrom itself, everything is
> actually fine.

We're working on detecting the special case of an erase operation which
didn't do anything so that we can write a less scary error message.

> The erase appears to have failed at physical address 0,
> which I would guess means that nothing actually happened.

Sometimes erase still happens even if it fails at address 0.

> I had taken a dump of the original bios before starting, and "flashrom
> -v" now verifies that it is identical.
>
> Furthermore, a new dump of the bios matches the original dump from
> before I tried to write the bios.

Looks good.

> My board is an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum.
>
> Output from my dump attempt and subsequent messing around follows.
>
> Do I have your blessing to reboot my machine?

Yes, you do.

We'd like to add support for writing on your board. We already support
the MSI K8N Neo3, so there's a good chance your board can be supported
easily.

Could you please download latest flashrom from svn, then run (as root)
lspci -nnvvvxxx
superiotool -dV
flashrom -V
and attach the output to your reply mail (reply to all)?

Besides that, we need to know if this is an Award/AMI/Phoenix BIOS and
where a BIOS update can be downloaded (direct link would be appreciated,
please don't attach the BIOS image).

Developer quote of the week:
"We are juggling too many chainsaws and flaming arrows and tigers."