[flashrom] IBM T30: UNTESTED though READ seems to work.

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Jul 17 03:38:37 CEST 2009

Hi Chet,

thanks for your report. I noticed that you're using a pretty old version
of flashrom. Newer versions of flashrom have marked this chip as
confirmed working. However, there's a big catch. See below for details.

On 16.07.2009 22:02, Chet Johnson wrote:
> I'm going to be slow about this as I don't want to brick my very useful
> notebook, but the bios read seemed to work successfully. Here is the
> output from the read operation. This is an old IBM T30 and it pretty
> much does everything I need as it stands. It does need an upgraded bios
> to accommodate some updated wifi features.

Please don't use flashrom on any laptop. The interaction with the
embedded controller on a laptop can cause a failed flash, bricking your
laptop. The only way to recover would be a repair center or desoldering
the flash chip and flashing the image from another identical model.

We'd warn flashrom users about this, but there is no reliable way to
detect whether a given machine is a laptop or not.