[flashrom] Flashrom does not work with J7F5M

Arvid Brodin arvidb at kth.se
Sat Jul 4 16:12:06 CEST 2009

Hi.

I tested flashrom on my Jetway J7F5M motherboard.

# flashrom
Calibrating delay loop... OK.
No coreboot table found.
Found chipset "VIA CX700", enabling flash write... OK.
Found chip "Winbond W39V040B" (512 KB) at physical address 0xfff80000.
No operations were specified.

So probing seems to work ok, as do reading. Writing, however, does not
work - the image on the flash chip remains unchanged (had a sweaty
moment after the FAILED message before I had read the chip again and
diffed it against the backed-up original image!).

The "Protect flash part" option in BIOS is set to Disabled (I also tried
Enabled, just to be sure).

Is there any hope on getting flashrom support for this card? The
AWDFLASH.EXE utility recommended for flashing by Jetway is "only" some
sixty thousand bytes - any hints on reverse engineering this?

The computer is head-, FD- and CDR-less and runs linux, so it's a chore
to flash it with the d**n DOS utility...

--
Arvid