[flashrom] I have problem making latest flashrom

Adrian Glaubitz adrian.glaubitz at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 5 15:38:33 CET 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 3:22 PM, guy lacroix <glx at skynet.be> wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
> i learned how to install libpcidev,(zlib1g-dev), libftdi-dev. That is
> done.  I did not install subversion.
> Source code folder flashrom-0.9.1 is in /home/guy and there I type make
> flashrom.  Then I get output as in included error make flashrom.
>
> When I type sudo make flasrom I get
> guy at asus-p4b:~/flashrom-0.9.1$ sudo make flashrom
> [sudo] password for guy:
> Checking for a C compiler... found.
> Checking for FTDI support... found.
> cc -Os -Wall -Werror  -D'SERPROG_SUPPORT=1' -D'FT2232_SPI_SUPPORT=1'
> -D'FLASHROM_VERSION="0.9.1-r710"' -o physmap.o -c physmap.c
> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> physmap.c: In function ‘rdmsr’:
> physmap.c:146: error: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break
> strict-aliasing rules
> make: *** [physmap.o] Fout 1
> guy at asus-p4b:~/flashrom-0.9.1$

I think the problem is this message:

cc1: warnings being treated as errors

The compilers treats normal warnings as errors and will therefore
stop. Usually a warning shouldn't be a problem though.
I can reproduce the error on Fedora 12, didn't test on Debian yet.
However, when using the latest code from svn, everything compiles
fine.

So please checkout the latest code from svn:

svn co svn://coreboot.org/flashrom/trunk flashrom

Install subversion prior to that.

Adrian