[flashrom] Unable to flash bios on a Tyan S2915-E

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Dec 3 12:55:24 CET 2009

Hi Alessandro,

On 03.12.2009 08:48, Alessandro Polverini wrote:
> flashrom v0.9.1-r791
> Found chipset "NVIDIA MCP55", enabling flash write... OK.
> Disabling flash write protection for board "Tyan S2915"... OK.
> No EEPROM/flash device found.

Tthis looks odd. I believe we are either missing a probe function for
your flash chip or your flash chip lives behind some translation layer.

> Do I need to make something else?

Yes. Can you open the case and tell us which flash chip is used on your
board? The flash chip is most likely either a 32-pin PLCC or a 8-pin
SOIC chip. Most likely numbers to find on the chip: ...49..., ...39...,
...50..., ...25..., ...29... The chip might be covered with a sticker.
Please remove the sticker in that case.

If you can't open the case or are unable to locate the flash chip, we
could try to ask Tyan directly. I remember one of their managers (Joel
Robertson) posting a list of supported boards last year.

Developer quote of the month:
"We are juggling too many chainsaws and flaming arrows and tigers."