[flashrom] Not sure where to put this?

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Aug 20 14:31:38 CEST 2009

On 20.08.2009 13:05, Marko Kraljevic wrote:
> Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>

>>> I've put a ZIF socket on a 3com NIC, for external programming. It
>>> seems to be working great.
>>> I've taken a picture, maybe it would be useful for the wiki or
>>> something.
>>
>> Sure. Under what license is the picture? Public domain? CC-BY-SA?
>> We need a separate wiki page about the 3com flasher once we have enough
>> stuff for such a page.
>
> CC-SA should be fine :-)

Thanks, uploaded to the wiki and included in a separate page about 3Com
flashers http://www.coreboot.org/Flashrom/NIC3Com which is linked from
http://www.coreboot.org/Flashrom#3Com_Network_cards . Maybe Uwe or
somebody else wants to fill in more info about nic3com.

> Almost all the chips I have handy are DIP anyways, and most of the
> PLCC ones I have around are just PLCC versions of standard parallel
> flash, as far as I remember, 28/29Fxxx stuff.
>
> What numbers do FWH/LPC chips tend to start with?

39/49/50 with 49 being the most common. I've seen 39/49 chips which are
parallel but that's ususual. 50 is not very common as model number.

http://www.coreboot.org/Flashrom has a few notes about LPC/FWH.

>> We may have to add a function in flashrom which raises the programming
>> voltage to 12V for such old chips, but other than that, it should be
>> doable.
>
> That was my line of thought too. I'll have to play with eventually.

If you do, please make sure to discuss such changes in advance on this
list so we can work together for the best possible design.

> PS - do any newer motherboards use I2C flash? or is SPI the only
> serial implementation used?

I haven't seen any x86 boards with I2C flash except for MAC address
storage and similar purposes, and these flashes are usually very small
(less than 1k).

http://www.hailfinger.org/