[flashrom] Not sure where to put this?

Marko Kraljevic krasnaya.zvezda at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 13:05:38 CEST 2009

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

>> I've put a ZIF socket on a 3com NIC, for external programming. It
>> seems to be working great.
>> I've taken a picture, maybe it would be useful for the wiki or something.
>>

> Sure. Under what license is the picture? Public domain? CC-BY-SA?
> We need a separate wiki page about the 3com flasher once we have enough
> stuff for such a page.

CC-SA should be fine :-)

> The big problem with this plan is that most PLCC chips use a completely
> different protocol (LPC/FWH) on the wire, so if you just have a few
> address and data lines, it will be very hard to impossible to support
> those chips without an extra translation chip.
> There are quite a few designs for LPC/FWH flashers out there and maybe
> you want to work with one of them. LPCflasher, LPC^2, Milksop,
> Paraflasher, ...

Almost all the chips I have handy are DIP anyways, and most of the PLCC
ones I have around are just PLCC versions of standard parallel flash, as
far as I remember, 28/29Fxxx stuff.

What numbers do FWH/LPC chips tend to start with?
I've read about LPC some, a long time ago, but I need to read some more!

> We may have to add a function in flashrom which raises the programming
> voltage to 12V for such old chips, but other than that, it should be doable.

That was my line of thought too. I'll have to play with eventually.

Mark

PS - do any newer motherboards use I2C flash? or is SPI the only serial
implementation used?