[coreboot] Loading Linux payloads on RISC-V

Jonathan Neuschäfer j.neuschaefer at gmx.net
Tue Sep 25 14:26:33 CEST 2018

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 09:45:40AM -0600, Aaron Durbin via coreboot wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 9:00 AM ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > ah sorry I forgot.
> >
> > I think selfboot could be reworked (and should be) to interpret "0" as "somewhere useful"?

Seems like a good idea.

And then the entry point also needs to be fixed somehow: Jumping to
0xffffffe000000000 without pagetables won't work.

> Why is the kernel being loaded at 0?

As far as I understand it, it's because Linux's linker script[0] doesn't
set a physical address. (It sets the virtual address to PAGE_OFFSET,
which is 0xffffffe000000000 in the kernels that I have built.)

Jonathan

[0]: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/riscv/kernel/vmlinux.lds.S