[coreboot] Loading Linux payloads on RISC-V

Jonathan Neuschäfer j.neuschaefer at gmx.net
Tue Sep 25 13:50:02 CEST 2018

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 06:42:14PM +0200, Patrick Rudolph wrote:
> Can you make use of the uImage/FIT [1] mechanism coreboot supports ?
> It just needs some architecture specific code.

Good idea. I've seen the FIT support patches and I think FIT looks
reasonable, at least for loading Linux.

Would FIT support require discussion/cooperation with other projects
like Linux or u-boot?

> Can you provide a ling to the Linux calling conventions for riscv ?

I think a document like https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/arm/Booting
hasn't been written yet for RISC-V. It's something like this:

- Linux starts in Supervisor Mode, but in physical address space, and
  expects a working Supervisor Binary Interface[0]
- register a0: hart ID
- register a1: pointer to FDT

Jonathan

[0]: https://github.com/riscv/riscv-sbi-doc/blob/master/riscv-sbi.md