[coreboot] compile coreboot for xeon 5570

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Mon Sep 24 10:31:32 CEST 2018

Hello Zahra,

On 9/24/18 2:51 PM, zahra rahimkhani wrote:
> I am trying  to use coreboot for a motherboard that have cpu of Xeon x5570.

TLDR; it won't work. coreboot needs to be adapted to every mainboard,
and, in this case, even to the processor and chipset. Without docu-
mentation from Intel (that we don't have), it might take an experienced
coreboot developer 1 or 2 years to support this processor.

> I searched about similar motherboards that coreboot support them .
> It is a motherboard from supermicro that  is X7DB8 and support
> Intel Xeon™ 5000 series  that were 5400/5300.
> but  I do not know about 5500.
> It was in this list
> https://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards/old

Xeon 5400 and 5500 are very different. The older one still used FSB
and had the memory controller (two channel DDR2, I guess) in the north-
bridge, the newer uses QPI and has the memory controller integrated
(three channel DDR3, a much different beast). There is still not a
single platform with QPI supported in coreboot and the memory control-
ler is likely not close to any supported one either.

> I would be grateful if you let me know about your  experiences  for this
> cpu. Do coreboot work with 5500 or not?

No, it doesn't.

> Can I change model of motherboard ?

Not sure, what your question is. You can use a different (supported)
motherboard. But not with this CPU.

Nico